Slated to kick off on Sept. 3, 2015, the 2015 Scoreboard KAL will allow fans to capture a favorite football team’s season in the form of a hand knit cowl. The cowl is worked in HiKoo Simplicity using the team’s two main colors. One color (call it the primary color) will represent your team. The secondary color will represent opposing teams.
The idea is fairly simple. When your team scores, you will knit a specific pattern in the primary colorway. Should the opponent score, you will knit a specific pattern in the secondary color. You follow this structure for the entire game, switching back and forth between two colors depending on who scores.
Once the game has ended, you can choose to insert a visual break (in a third colorway) as an option. When the season is over and the dust settles, you will be left with a stunning piece of knitted sports history.
Here’s what you will need:
- 6 skeins of Simplicity in Main Color (MC)
- 6 skeins of Simplicity in Contrast Color (CC)
- 16″ US #7 Addi Turbo circular needle
- Darning needle
Here are some recommended colors in HiKoo Simplicity:
- UM Wolverines — Maize and Blue — Color #004 Goldfish, Color #029 Royal
- MSU Spartans — Green and White — Color #031 Real Green, Color #001 White
- Laker High School — Green and White — Color #031 Real Green, Color #001 White
- Central Michigan Chippewas — Maroon and Gold — Color #046 Crimson, Color #048 Hillcreek Gold
- Detroit Lions — Silver and Blue — Color #029 Royal, Color #036 Silver Hair
Try one of these colors as the Third Color (visual break):
- Color #001 White
- Color #003 Natural
- Color #037 Gun Metal Grey
- Color #038 Seattle Sky
- Color #002 Black
- Color #036 Silver Hair
This KAL is not just for diehard fans. It’s an opportunity to spend some extra time with those special fans in your life. You may end up with a new found love of the game, or even be afforded a chance to pass along your love of knitting.
Be ready for kickoff time this fall! Order your yarn and needles now!
Oooo! We’re getting quite a response to this KAL! Some of the colors are on backorder and are expected to ship this last week of August. Sorry for the delay, but do get your orders in so you can start knitting as those touchdown passes start flying into the end zones!